The olive tree is a symbol of the Mediterranean, and not unjustified. It is connected with the mediterranean alimentation but anyone can say that it is related with the survival of natives. So, these agricultural-humble buildings, that in the language of the people are called liotrivia, were an inextricable piece of their lives. In Naxos there are 90 counted olive press buildings. Not many are saved from time, or their use has been altered (they have become residences). Most of which are located in the central and mountainous Naxos, as the olive oil production there is bigger. In the lowland the olive press is called “tri(g)os” as in the mountainous “fabrika”. Our Olive Press is situated in Eggares Village on the main road, easy accessible.
The owner is Nikoleta Antoniou Lianou and the grounds have been fully restored with the help of the civil engineer Gianni Sp. Protonotario. Today is operating as a museum. The building is made of stone, 100,00m2 that consists of 2 rooms, the traditional with all the stages of olive oil production as well as an exhibition with olive products.
It is dated back to 1884, from its press indication, but according to the hearsay of the locals, it is dated before that, probably at the start of the century.
Visit to the museum is only by appointment.
Entrance is free.
Please contact us
Eggares Olive Press
Eggares Village, 84300 Naxos Island, Cyclades Greece
Tel: (+30) 22850 24180 – Fax: (+30) 22850 22000 – Mob: (+30) 6973 054 801