The beautiful small village of Aggidia with 300 inhabitants is built on the southwestern hillside of mount Hrysostomos and at a distance of 3km from the town of Naxos. It is amphitheatrically build at a high altitude with views of the green valley of Livadia, the main town and the sea. A central site in the village is the whitewashed temple of Aghios Halambos.
Just 5km from the main town, you will come across Aghios Thallelaios, a small traditional settlement, with just 85 residents. It is build at the foot of the hill of Aghios Fokas facing a magnificent valley of orchards. It took its name from the saint Aghios Thallelaios the Miraculous, who is celebrated on May 20th. Visit the church dedicated to the saint, the construction details of which remain unknown. Nevertheless, inscribed on one of its external walls is a faded inscription dating back to 1501 (: ΤΟΥ ΔΟΥΛΟΥ ΜΟΝΑΧΟΥ ΗΓΟΥΜΕΝΟΥ ΣΑΓΡΕΔΟC – Servant of the Father Superior, Monk Sagerdos.)
The route Naxos-Aggidia-Aghios Thallelaios is worth taking as it revelas the old history of the area with its ancient and medieval monuments. Some of these monuments are the old monastery “Fraro” (14th century A.D.) which was an important site in the lives of the Venetian people of Naxos, the ancient Lygdami water reservoir, a medieval spring tap, ruins of the old Christian church of Aghios Stephanos, Venetian towers and much more. It seems that this area, since the ancient years was considered as the ‘country side’ of Naxos by the main town lords (main town is also known as Chora).